The Pydigger site monitors the uploads to PyPI
and collects meta-data about the packages.
It shows various statistics
and points you to packages that could be improved by adding some simple meta-data to them.
One of the easiste to fix is the missing author
Each package can have a field called author
that contains the name of, well the author. Accourding to our stats about
4.6% of the packages have not author field
. About 1% has VCS but no author field
making them very easy to fix. (Locating the missing VCS-es (ak Version Control System) will be the material of another post.
The most common way to include it in the package is to add a field called author to the setup function in the setup.py of the project.
In the video we checked the eririn project to see how it is done
and then fixed the arduino-udev project.
This is the pull request you can see in the video.
Within a few minutes the Pull-request was accepted.
Step you can do:
- Visit the list of packages that have VCS but no author field and pick one.
- Visit the source code of the package. (Link is on the page of the package)
- In the VCS (Github, GitLab, Bitbucket, etc. look for the name of the author of the package.
- Locate the setup.py in the root of the repository
- Edit the file and add the author field.
- Save it. (This creates a commit)
- Send a Pull-Request